There are lots of lists out there on how to be happy and how to live your life to the fullest. Here is a list from the Pope himself, even if you’re an unbeliever these are great suggestions:
1. “Live and Let Live”
A mantra everyone should live by but not always an easy task. In Rome, the similar saying means, “Move forward and let others do the same.”
2. “Be giving of yourself to others”
“Stagnant water becomes Putrid,” according to Pope Francis. Be open and give of yourself instead of focusing inward.
3. “Proceed calmly” in life”
This could mean a lot of things….think before you act and speak, take a breather…don’t overreact…don’t be rash.
4. “A healthy sense of leisure”
Sit down, turn off the tv and put the phone down for awhile. Just “Be” and not “Do” for awhile.
5. “Sundays should be holidays” “Sundays are for Families,” According to Pope Francis. Not many would argue with this. If not Sundays, one day a week focused on family or the ones you love is just as good.
6. “Find innovative ways to create dignified jobs for young people”
Having no opportunities as a young person can set someone on the wrong path that could lead to drugs and alcohol use.
7. “Respect and take care of nature”
Thinking beyond ourselves and respecting the world around us.
8. “Stop being Negative”
Putting someone else down is a quick way to make ourselves feel better but in the long run it only hurts ourselves.
9. “Don’t Proselytise; respect others’ beliefs”
Don’t try to convert people to your beliefs. You arrived at your beliefs from your own journey; everyone has their own journey.
10. “Work for Peace”
With so many wars around the globe the Pope says we need to remember that peace isn’t something that is quiet. “Peace is Dynamic and Proactive”